Having a child is one of the most amazing and rewarding experiences in life, however being a new mum comes with its fair share of challenges - the most common being lack of sleep. The one usually least talked about though is the isolation that mums can sometimes feel when they take their new baby home.
Although maternity leave sounds like a dream on paper, being home alone with your new bub all the time can be lonely especially considering most of your friends and family will be going about their day-to-day business at work, so it's really important to find time to get out of the house and socialise during your time off.
My maternity leave has just started and after repeatedly searching online, I have found some of the best websites to help you find parent and baby activities in your local area, whether it be parent meet ups, exercise classes or health and well-being classes - there really is something to suit all and a lot more available then I first anticipated!
If you want to learn the basics of how to crochet, or if you are looking for a new hobby, this Crochet for Beginners class is for you!
1. www.meetup.com This awesome website is able tell you about meet ups in your local area for all of the things you love, it seems like literally no topic is unheard of and their family and mums section is hard to beat. Simply enter your suburb or postcode and a radius of where you would like to search and browse through all of the mums meet ups in your local area. Easy as that!
2. www.whatson4littleones.com.au If you're looking for any sort of class or activity in your local area that you can take part in with your baby then look no further then this amazing search site. Again, it's simply a case of entering in what area you are based in, hitting the search button and there you have it, a huge list of all of the classes in your area as well as locations, session times, prices and activity descriptions.
3. www.mycommunitydirectory.com.au Another search engine website that allows you to search within any area for whatever type of class or meet up you're looking for. For example, search for pram walking groups within a 10 km radius of Brisbane City. Such a quick and easy way to find things to do with your little one.
4. Brisbane Libraries- Whats On? A great place to meet up with other mums and get out of the house with your little one is at your local library, baby and toddler classes such as "Rhyme Time" and "Story Time" are run on a weekly basis and are completely free of charge. Although at first, new babies will be too young to fully get involved, it's still a great way to socialise with other mums and introduce the surroundings to your little one ready for when they are old enough to participate. Head on over to the council website to find out whats happening at your local library and when.
The Asian Street Food tour of Brisbane will introduce you to a variety of delicious Asian food, including Chinese, Malaysian, Thai, Vietnamese and Filipino.
5. www.raisingchildren.net.au Raising Children is a government supported parenting website which features heaps of resources designed to take you all the way from pregnancy right up to parenting teenagers. An awesome feature that the website has is "My Neighbourhood" which allows you to enter a location or postcode and it will bring up all of the classes, events, meet ups and activities close by and also give you the opportunity to create your own event or meet up. The website is also home to a number of different parent forums which again is great way to search for local parent discussions or meet ups that may be going on or if not, maybe look to start your own.
What To Look For? Now that you know where to look, you may be wondering what kind of activities or classes are available for you and your baby to take part in?
Mum and Baby Exercise Classes
Mum and Baby Swim Class
Pram Walking Meetups
Baby Sensory Classes
Mum and Baby Coffee Mornings
Mum and Baby Meet Ups
These are just a few of the types of activities that you could try searching for on one of the above websites. If you know of any awesome mum and baby classes or regular meet ups in Brisbane then we would love to hear about them! Head on over to the Brisbane Mums Facebook Discussion Group to let us know or why not write an article about if for us? Become a writer by heading to our Write For Us Page.