These raw chocolate squares are perfect treats for when you need something sweet and relatively healthy!
A huge plus is that you can replace the nuts and seeds with other family favourites or substitute the chocolate topping with desiccated coconut but, to be honest, I'm not sure why or who would really want to do that!
60g coconut oil
3 tbsp rice malt syrup
270g pitted dates
1/2 cup of water
140g cashew nuts (pre-soaked)
80g coconut oil
100g good quality chocolate
2 teaspoons of coconut oil
Method 1. Grind the almonds and pepitas in a high-speed processor with the oil and rice malt syrup until it all comes together.
2. Line a 20cm x 20cm tin with baking paper and tip the nut/seed mixture into the base of the tin; flatten and press down with the back of a spoon. Put in the freezer to chill.
3. Chop the dates into smaller pieces and combine with the water in a pan and bring to the boil until the dates are paste-like. Stir in the coconut oil.
4. Blitz the cashews and dates/oil until smooth.
5. Spread the cashew mix over the nut/seed base and place back in the freezer for an hour.
6. Just before the hour is up, melt the chocolate and coconut oil and pour over the chilled topping.
7. Return to the freezer until firm and then cut into squares. Store in the fridge.